In fact, I like the grain of silver film and think that it gives a pleasing image quality, with different film and processing chemical combinations giving different grain structure. This is one of those things that makes photography interesting. At one time I had a job printing the work of a photographer who sometimes used this chromogenic film, and as a printer I hated it because there was no grain to focus on. I remember describing it as 'gutless' film. And cursing in the dark.
So this is a typical example of photographic decision making - we learn about the science and structure of it, we consider the practicalities - in this case we can process at colour labs - and we consider the visual effect and whether it is desirable. And sometime we have a gut reaction, which is purely personal and subjective. Thus photography - scientific, technical, practical, aesthetic and personal.
I don't know if this answers the test question, but I found it interesting.
Shutterbug is a handy site, where I was reminded about this film, and many other things I've forgotten about:
No comments:
Post a Comment