Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Crop, clone, colour and tone

For NQ photographers, digital pictures need to be edited. Photoshop gives us so much choice, it can be confusing.
So, when I get confused (which is often) I try to boil down the complicated task into a small number of steps. Then I try to find a way to memorise it - something short, snappy, maybe a rhyme.
At this stage, to edit your pictures you need to crop, clone, colour and tone.
Remember it:
Crop, clone, colour, tone.
Simples

Use the crop tool to tidy the edges and improve your composition

Use the clone stamp to remove spots and scratches
Use a levels adjustment layer in one colour channel to alter the colour balance
Use levels adjustment layer in the RGB channel to alter the tonal range - the brightness of the picture
Four simple, easy to remember steps to clean, colour corrected and well exposed pictures.
But each step needs lots of practice and constant use.

No comments:

Post a Comment