Edinburgh - Into the Light is the title of a set of pictures by Jerome Lorieau. I have asked all NQ people to produce one picture from their Higher project and bring it in for discussion next week. Here, for example is what I might do, if I was doing the Higher.
- The picture of the man pushing his bike would be the picture I show.
- My subject would be the urban environment - central Edinburgh.
- My approach would be to shoot pure light - into the light, because this is a very strong lighting style, and typical of Edinburgh in winter and early spring. All pictures would have this style.
- My main influence would be Jerome Lorieau, and also Trent Parke in Australia.
- My early attempt was ok, but needed a figure. Changing my angle allowed me to frame passing figures, and made the exposure more dramatic.
- I learned that changing the exposure value can make the image look darker but more dramatic; I also learned that it is difficult to time the shot when people pass by.
- I was using a small digital camera, with a delay or shutter lag, so what I would change would be the camera. I might use a faster camera. Failing that, I would practice to anticipate the movement of passers by, and shoot a little bit in advance. Or I could arrange people, like Jerome appears to have done with his black-and-white picture.
- Editing - I haven't done any. If I did, I might make the colours more golden, and I might lighten the building a bit so that some more detail is showing.

No comments:
Post a Comment