This is a blog for West Lothian College photography courses. It is aimed at HNC and NQ students and I'll put up information and links that I think might be useful or interesting to you. The background picture is by former student, Andy Bates. Keep visiting.
Tuesday, 11 December 2012
Researching
...So as I was saying, for the Higher you need to research facts and information about photographic technique.
Most photographers do this all the time and enjoy it, as part of the process of producing good photographs.
Here's Colin Prior's caption for the photograph - "Location: Suilven, Stac Polaidh, Achnahaird Bay, Assynt." This is a precise description of the location and the view. He describes the mountains as 'Inselbergs', islands of hard sandstone sculpted by glaciers in the ice age, standing in a bedrock of Lewissian Gneiss that was formed 3000 mullion years ago. There will be names and terms that are unfamiliar to you in that description, of course. So, you'll want to look them up and find out what it all means.
I looked up Google for info about his technique. On his website, he produces a useful checklist for shooting in the wilds. I searched for "Colin Prior, photography, technique" and found a detailed article on ephotozine where he discusses his equipment and how he reached his decisions. I wanted to know more about whether he uses film or digital, so I searched "Colin Prior, digital, technique" and found a useful discussion by him on the British Mountaineering Council site. He makes good points on the need to learn the basics of shutter speed, aperture, composition and the ability to see the way a camera does.
It only took a few minutes to find all of this fantastically useful information.
To put it into your research, you need to take the important points, put it into your own words - no cutting and pasting! I can smell it!
Then you need to compare what you have learned to what you experience when you are shooting.
Above all, you need to be thinking about it. All the time.
Light is fascinating, it makes things look wonderful, and photography is brilliant.
So why would you want to be thinking about anything else anyway?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment